[PyrNet-L] It's unfair

Reading Holly's sad email about Ernie really brought it home to me today
more than any other day as to how unfair it seems that we who care so much
for our Pyrs have to go through the tragedy of losing them either in old age
or through illhealth  or accident at a young age.  So many times I have held
those Pyr heads as the vet has slipped the sedative into their veins. I have
held them old and I have held them young. I have taken them from the
whelping box, cuddled them and buried them and I still feel cheated that
they are gone and I cannot see and touch them anymore.
Photos, videos for memories but  nothing can take away that feeling of total
loss of the Pyr just "being there"  and this applies to the folk who have
only one or several Pyrs. Each are special to us no matter how many we have
owned over the years.  Each personality is unique to that Pyr and that's
what makes them special.  From the great show/stud dog, breeding bitch,
family pet, Obedience Champion, there is no difference when their time
comes, the loss is still the same.  The sadness when a younger Pyr dies of
the feeling of the Pyr not having lived to a good age is equalled by that
wonderful old Pyr who you don't want to die so you then must make the choice
of having him/her put to sleep and being there  to help him on his final
journey. This we owe them for all their years of devotion to us and to the
younger ones in ill health we owe them the dignity to be free of further
pain and discomfort.  None of us make these decisions lightly but there is a
choice and it's the loving, caring owner who makes it much to their own
sadness at the loss.  When it comes to putting my Pyrs to sleep here in
their own home I like to think I am the last face they see so I'll be the
first face they recognise one day, (that's providing I'll get up there!)

Kind Regards, Jan,
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans. Visit my sites at
http://www.geocities.com/janellachaplin/ and
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/PetsPl/pyreneanmountaindog/ and my latest
Site http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/HobbyCt/postcardcollections/
 the site of PMDC http://www.geocities.com/pyreneans