RE: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

Kelly, I have - not with a Pyr, but with an oversized black lab named
Phinnigan that was being used to guard a warehouse. A friend of mine found
him and asked us if we would take him. He was afraid to be by himself,
attacked my cats, eliminated  in my house, broke my doors to get out, he
used to try and mouth our limbs when he was nervous - terrifying because his
jaw was so large, etc. Over a period of 2 years he became the most loving
animal. When our first child was born he became jealous and insecure and
reverted back to some of his old ways but with a strong hand and patience he
became secure in his place within our family again. He went into status
January 24th, 1999 at 2 am and was unresponsive to medications. He is very
sorely missed. His ashes sit in our living room and his pictures on our
walls. I am not afraid of rescue, at the core I am more concerned with the
animal than the breed - I must admit this - Phinnigan was a terrible
representative of his breed in form- he was too tall and too big, but with
time he became an excellent example of his breeds temperament. Dangerous
dogs should be euthenized, unless proper care can be given to them, but not
all rescues are dangerous -show me hard data before I believe this. I
personally know of several Pyr rescues here in Southern Ontario that were
reputable breeder purchased CKC registered puppies.

I would like to add that I commend your work with rescue and respect your
dedication to the breed. You have every right to express your opinion, which
appears to be quite applicable to your area - however, it may not generalize
to the rest of North America - Canada included.

Tania Xerri

	<<<<I am shocked that you would consider serious concern over the
mere thought of
	our breed on the dangerous dog lists "saving face with the public".

	This issue potentially goes far deeper than "saving face with the
public",
	and if others can't see that, then there is likely nothing I can do
	convince them otherwise.

	I am honestly thrilled and delighted for all of you who have nobly
managed to
	save a Pyrenean life and have been privileged and lucky enough to
enjoy a
	stable temperament and a lasting bond of companionship with your
rescued
	Great Pyrenees.  To those who have been so fortunate, and who also
happen to
	feel strongly that anyone interested in a Great Pyrenees should
first and
	foremost consider a rescue, answer this question for me:

	How many Great Pyrenees have *you* had to live with for several
weeks and
	bond with only to end up holding their muzzled head in your hands
with tears
	streaming down your face while the veterinarian puts them to death
because
	they were a serious menace or threat to society and/or because they
attempted
	to or actually did bite you or one of your children or one of your
neighbor's
	or friend's children?

	Shall I go back through my records and report how many I personally
have had
	the terrible misfortune to make that dreaded decision on over the
years,
	rescues versus those out of my own breeding program?

	Cut me a break here folks. I've walked in BOTH pairs of shoes. Have
you?  If
	not, then I suggest perhaps you don't have the whole big picture
clearly
	within your range of view and that perhaps you've not truly had
occasion to
	even remotely approach some of these very real boundaries.

	I never once said no one should adopt a rescue dog.  My original
point was we
	need more dedicated responsible accountable and caring breeders and
less
	irresponsible money grubbing ignorant breeders.  We need to make
education
	accessible to ALL and to make quality pets and working dogs from
well-planned
	well-prioritized breeding programs affordable to many more than we
presently
	are.  This would go a long way in dramatically increasing the
chances for a
	successful placement for a dog's lifetime, and to that end, it would
reduce
	the rescue burden.

	Perhaps the only way we can stop the breeding activities of
commercial
	breeders and ignorant breeders and irresponsible breeders is to take
away
	their market for puppies.  I suggest as many as 50% (or more) of the
dogs
	that find their way into rescue would not have slipped through the
cracks if
	the necessary and appropriate good breeding genetics, screening
methods,
	education, and lifelong follow-up was provided to these owners in
the first
	place.

	We all have our own little contributions we can make to the
long-term welfare
	and betterment of this breed. I won't be made to feel wrong or
guilty for
	making my own personal contribution in the manner which I have
chosen, AFTER
	exploring ALL sides to this debate in a very personal hands-on way.

	Kelley>>>>>