Re: Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: failure of Rescue

Joe,

"new owners can and do cause many of the problems that they then complain
about.

Joe  "

You said it!  I'm a fairly new dog owner but I've observed and learned from mistakes made by friends and family.  In some cases it seems the dog is set up for failure from day one.  For example, a woman in my office bought a Yorkie and several years later when we were talking, I was horrified to learn that the dog still was not housebroken!  She said that every morning when she got up, there was a puddle and a pile at the foot of the steps ... but added, "she does such little tiny poohs that I don't worry about it!"  Then some time later this woman decided to replace the carpeting (any wonder?) throughout the house.  All of a sudden, it was no longer acceptable for the dog to "go" in the house.  I strongly suggested using a crate to finally get the little Yorkie housetrained.  Well, this woman considered that cruel ... especially since the dog had always had free run of the house ... so she found a new home for it instead.  Who knows where that dog is now.  In another case, fr!
!
iends of my daughter took their dog to a shelter after they learned it had heartworms and couldn't (or wouldn't) pay for the treatment.  Ever hear of heartworm preventives???  Again, who knows what finally became of this dog.

Kim