Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20000316

In a message dated 03/17/2000 3:50:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

> Kelly, yes, yes, yes, the potato chip bag is a perfect
>  example, they never fail to come to me if they think I might be sitting
>  down to something they don't have...but I do.

This is what I tell my puppy buyers to use as a test once their babies are no
longer the eager and obedient and responsive ones but start to enter into
that selectively deaf stage we all know and love that only comes with
maturity.  These owners at first are all worried and just certain their
beloved pets really can't hear.  That's when I suggest they do the potato
chip bag trick.  I think most of mine could hear a bag of potato chips
opening from miles away. <LOL>

Now for a closer range solution, I've found doughnuts tend to work quite
well. Powdered jellies are a favorite around here amongst man and beast
alike. Ice cream is another favorite.  Even though they can't *hear* these
things being prepared, they can definately SMELL them and SEE them even if
only a glimpse out of the corner of their eye.  Mine seem to prefer
strawberry.

>  The dead weight thing is
>  also a good example of their method.

Yes, a favorite ploy when lounging on the bed, squinting eyes and pretending
to be asleep, or when sleeping IN the bed with you and your spouse, rather ON
you and your spouse laying crosswise across both parties legs, or when firmly
planted in front of that door you need to open.  We tend to just scoot the
dog out of the way as gently as possible ... with the door or with the legs
as best we can.

Don't ask me to recite each of mine's middle names. Just let it suffice that
they all have a different one reserved specifically for each of them, most
consisting of two word phrases. <VBG>

Kelley