[PyrNet-L] Old Pyrs

Stephanie and Paddy,

I love these old guys. Pyrs in the double digits, especially the males,
are wonderful. We finally could let Patou off leash at 12 since we
could now out run him.

Patou lived to be 14 years and 9 months. Somewhere around his 11th
or 12th year, Patou lost weight, lost energy, and seemed to deteriorate.
The vet told us he was an old dog, but we were not to be deterred. As
many of you know on the list I feed natural, and on one walk, attached
to an undigested kernel of corn in his stool was a segment of a tape worm.

While we had never had fleas in upstate NY, coming down to NJ and
loving to walk on the beach, we got fleas and with the fleas tape. So
first rule, if there is one, is to look for what might downgrade a dog's
health. Patou too had been tested for worms, and found negative,
but ask your vet again for any help on this.

I am no expert on staph infections, but we experienced it
in one litter of pups years ago, so I am somewhat familiar.
Staph is always around, so Paddy's resistence was lowered before
he got staph.  As it was explained to me, staph is an opportunistic
disease. So Paddy's system was already compromised.

And I am certain  the treatment distressed his system more. Yogurt does
wonders for an upset stomach, for humans and dogs. Even though
you don't mention the dire rears, I would add whole milk yogurt to
his food, to reintroduce good flora and add some calories. And as
a plug for natural foods, try adding some baked sweet potato for its
wonderful anti-oxidant, anti-aging benefits. ;-)

And as an aside to this, my vet stopped vaccinating Patou for anything
but rabies (required by law here). Patou was 12 when we found our
current vet, so I don't know if he would have stopped them earlier
or not. I suspect he would have. But count your blessings in having
a vet who will work with you. You'll need a sounding board and lots
of good advice if you are going to see Paddy hit those older years.

My vet and I discussed the "aging" process many times, and one thing
that always came up was the lowering of all the senses. Not only
hearing, eyesight, but also the sense of taste and smell. If you don't
feed natural, try putting some tomato sauce, beef au jus, or other
rich smelling human foods on his food to encourage him to eat.
Trust me, you won't kill him. And if he becomes picky, so for the
next few years you have a picky dog - but at least you still have
a dog ;-).

Not only do the physical senses diminish, but the entire body, including the
heart and kidneys slow down. What Paddy could eat and digest in its
entirety years ago, may end up as an undigestible ball in his stomach. You
might want to try adding some digestive enzymes to aid with this. And
you might want to switch him to a more natural food, more natural
being more digestible.

Water consumption is another issue. We found that Patou's tongue
became less efficient at lapping as he got older. He appeared to
stand at the water bowl for an inordinate amount of time, and
we would eventually tell him he had enough and chase him away.
Then the light went on, and we measured the water before it went
in the bowl, and after he was done. While the texture had changed,
the volume had basically remained the same. He was not getting
adequate water by lapping, and he was somewhat dehydrated.
Out came the old turkey baster, and after he had finished "lapping"
I put some water in the turkey baster, and gently squirted it into
the side of his mouth. I also started adding more water to his food.

There are many things that you can do to extend the healthy life of
a dog. But right now you have a problem, and I would not buy
the "he is an old dog you know" stuff. Something opened him up
to the staph infection. I would look in that direction first.

Good luck with Paddy, and if I can be of any additional help to you
feel free to email me privately.

Carol
carol@naturaldogfood.com