Re: [PyrNet-L] Legislation/Ohio H.B. #108

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:36:35 EST Kshoffman@aol.com writes:

> I can tell you in my local community, they can't even enforce the
> ordinances
> that are already in place.  What good are stricter laws if they
> can't be
> enforced or enforced properly . . .

> Kelley

I agree.  We have plenty of laws on the books, but it either the
resources aren't available to enforce them, or no enforcement provisions
were ever put in place when the law was enacted.  We all have "horror"
stories of unleashed dogs annoying or outright terrorizing the
neighborhood.  Yet how far do we get contacting animal control?  Or - how
many of you have tried reporting animal abuse?  Forget the authorities!
You need to find a local group of volunteers or contact someone involved
in the SPCA that can fight through the red tape.  It's frustrating.  I
don't think that in this instance we need another law.  IMO they need to
clarify the existing laws, close up some of the loopholes, and designate
a universal agency who will then be empowered to fully enforce those
laws.  I won't be holding my breath til it happens, though.

Jeanne Bravin
GypsyunLTD@juno.com

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.