[PyrNet-L] Preamble 2000 W

I do not doubt for one minute Mike and Lynda that for thousands of years
Pyreneans were not crated but I do believe that they would have been
tied/chained up at various times or great lumps of wood (or similar
materials)  known as "drags" tied round their necks to slow them down
running away.  For too long we have been fed this idea of Pyreneans running
"free" in the Pyrenees in the wide open spaces guarding their sheep and
killing bears and wolves willy nilly. Had I 1000 acres then I would still
have a fence around it. I don't hear any talk on here of "improving" the
Breed as such but what I do see are people concerned for the Breed and
wishing to maintain the Breed and the safety of their Pyrs by using crates
or having them safe in the home.  I have a great need for this Breed and
have done for many years but I also have a need to know that my dogs are
safe at all times and if I make use of crates/pens then I am further
ensuring the safety of my dogs.  None of my dogs have ever been shoved into
a crate against their will.  My dogs love snuggling up in a crate and if one
is left open then in they go of their own free will.  I know many homes with
Pyrs where this is also the norm and these are all happy, contented animals.
I met up with a 9 yr old Pyr yesterday. When he travels he always has his
huge pet basket in the back of his van, he will not go anywhere without it.
When he lived with me for 5 years I could not leave a crate open and he
would be in there curled into a "smallish" ball!! Security I would say.
Kind Regards, Jan,
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans. Visit my sites at
http://www.geocities.com/janellachaplin/ and
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/PetsPl/pyreneanmountaindog/ and my latest
Site http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/HobbyCt/postcardcollections/
 the site of PMDC http://www.geocities.com/pyreneans