Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT, EVENTS: PREAMBLE 2000 WORLD CONFERENCE

I'm afraid that I did indeed use the wrong term here in "roaming free".  I would
never advocate that dogs be left to wander on their own.  I have seen the consequences
of this too many times as we live in a semi-rural area on a very busy highway.
 We have picked up several dogs and cats off the highway where they met their
fate with cars.  It is a sad job to clean up after people that just turn their
animals out.  But I also wonder if locking dogs in crates could contribute to
the problems that the owner is trying to correct. You are absolutely correct
that it is much safer to travel with a dog in a crate.  That makes for a much
more pleasant trip for all involved.

Also, I am not "hot under the collar" about the apology question.  Just didn't
know why it was asked for.  Now I know.

>Mike and Lydia, obviously if you keep a Pyr. anywhere but in massive
>amounts of land that you own, you are going to have to contain/control
>them.  We have far too many people today who seem to think that dogs
>should be allowed to roam free.  It is simply not feasible as one soon
>infringes on anothers rights/space.  I had 14 dead chickens in one
>morning, doggys freedom binge, and he was inside my enclosed pen!  For
>the most part dogs must be contained within established areas in today's
>overcrowded society.  This is sure to get worse as we continue to
>overpopulate.
>
>If you make a dog live in a crate, then yes, it is cruel.  But if a dog
>is crated for only certain periods of time, it may actually save it's
>life, often it can even be a comfortable place for them to get away.  It
>can be the difference between turning a dog in to the pound, and risking
>euthanasia, because of chewing, destruction, soiling, etc.  I do not
>crate the Pyrs. because I have a combined carport/kennel run 17x32 with
>six foot chain link fence, that I use when I am not home with them.  I
>have used huge crates in the past for my Mastiffs, when I would not be at
>home.
>
>Of course humans change the breed.  This is almost a given.  A breed can
>even be different according to location, state, country etc.  Since dogs
>are by nature pack animals, most of them are more than happy to make
>humans their pack, if they have your time and attention they seem more
>than content to me.  Even when a Pyr. is out with stock, it is not alone,
>the stock becomes it's pack.  Dogs protect their own.
>
>Your description of " roaming free " scares the heck out of me.  Too many
>dogs are shot and killed for roaming free, or killed on highways, injured
>or injure, in fights etc.  Why have a dog at all, if your going to care
>so little about it that you only want one, "out roaming".  I'm going to
>go kick my group off the bed now, so I can make it.  I will be sure to
>point out to them that they have a miserable existence.  I am sure you
>really didn't mean it that way, but I bet I'm not to only one who will
>question the way you phrased it.   Cindy.
>
>Cindy Henke
>clhenke@juno.com
>Ennis, Texas
>
>"All knowledge, the totality of all questions and answers, is contained
>in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka

>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Mike & Lynda