Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT, EVENTS: PREAMBLE 2000 WORLD CONFERENCE

Mike and Lydia, obviously if you keep a Pyr. anywhere but in massive
amounts of land that you own, you are going to have to contain/control
them.  We have far too many people today who seem to think that dogs
should be allowed to roam free.  It is simply not feasible as one soon
infringes on anothers rights/space.  I had 14 dead chickens in one
morning, doggys freedom binge, and he was inside my enclosed pen!  For
the most part dogs must be contained within established areas in today's
overcrowded society.  This is sure to get worse as we continue to
overpopulate.

If you make a dog live in a crate, then yes, it is cruel.  But if a dog
is crated for only certain periods of time, it may actually save it's
life, often it can even be a comfortable place for them to get away.  It
can be the difference between turning a dog in to the pound, and risking
euthanasia, because of chewing, destruction, soiling, etc.  I do not
crate the Pyrs. because I have a combined carport/kennel run 17x32 with
six foot chain link fence, that I use when I am not home with them.  I
have used huge crates in the past for my Mastiffs, when I would not be at
home.

Of course humans change the breed.  This is almost a given.  A breed can
even be different according to location, state, country etc.  Since dogs
are by nature pack animals, most of them are more than happy to make
humans their pack, if they have your time and attention they seem more
than content to me.  Even when a Pyr. is out with stock, it is not alone,
the stock becomes it's pack.  Dogs protect their own.

Your description of " roaming free " scares the heck out of me.  Too many
dogs are shot and killed for roaming free, or killed on highways, injured
or injure, in fights etc.  Why have a dog at all, if your going to care
so little about it that you only want one, "out roaming".  I'm going to
go kick my group off the bed now, so I can make it.  I will be sure to
point out to them that they have a miserable existence.  I am sure you
really didn't mean it that way, but I bet I'm not to only one who will
question the way you phrased it.   Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka