Re: [PyrNet-L] Shaving Your pyr?

> Many people shave their dogs for the summer, particularly in the east but
it
> seems to me that I read pyrs should NOT be shaved becuase of sun
> damage.Anyone have any input? Thank you. Jill

Jill, there is absolutely nothing wrong or harmful with shaving a Pyr down.
It is sad that so many old wives tales still exist about shaving. Heat, old
age, illness or matting are all good reasons to shave down an animal. I will
also include owners lifestyle.

There are a number of different blades and comb attachments used in grooming
so length  is a matter of choice if the animal isn't badly matted. The type
of coat an animal carries will also influence the cut. A correct coat can be
shaved shorter than an incorrect one.

Some grooming tips: pick out a competent groomer and thoroughly comb out
your animal before you bring it in for grooming. This will help prevent
"sticker shock" and will give the groomer more options.

Some choices: First, try and avoid a #10 shave down except for on the belly
or badly matted areas(it tends to make light skinned dogs look like pink
pigs). A #7 blade will leave a nice short cut for those that like a 'crew
cut". A #5 blade is a good choice for a dog with a correct coat-there will
be no skin showing, yet the coat is short and 'teddy" like. For an incorrect
coat a #4 blade or a 1/2-3/4 inch comb attachment will be necessary for a
"teddy" look and a second cutting usually will be necessary during the
summer for this type of coat and cut.

The ruff can be removed or left in a lion cut(the entire mane area is left)
or a clown cut(most of the mane is removed except for a cuff around the
head). The ruff can be shortened.

If your animal is badly matted and needs a #10 blade buzz down then do it
before it gets hot out.

Terese