[PyrNet-L] CARE: Nailbed infection (Don't know if this is the right topic)

Well, Anais broke her right front dewclaw.  It must have been last
Monday night.  If she was a black dog, I would not have noticed
anything.  The only evidence was some blood on her paw, none to be seen
anywhere else.  I pressed a napkin against it, and there was a drop of
blood on the napkin.  It did not continue to bleed.  I wouldn't have
thought any more about it, but asked my son to look at it (he has better
eyesight), and he thought he saw a break in the nail.  Since the vet's
office was closed and it wasn't bleeding anymore, I decided to call in
the morning.  She had an appointment coming up on Saturday.  They said
that if it wasn't bleeding, it could wait.

Wednesday, my vet tech came over and looked at it. (She sometimes lets
them out at lunchtime.)  It looked fine.

Thursday, no sign of her bothering it, but I thought the nail was
covered up by hair, because I didn't see it.

Friday my vet tech came and looked at it again and said that she must
have chewed the broken part of the nail off and the vet would have to do
something to clean it up, but nothing to worry about.

Saturday - the nail is basically gone.  She must have removed it
herself, although I never saw her bothering it or acting like it was
bothering her.  She has a nailbed infection.  She is on 225 mg of
Antirobe 2x per day.  I am to wipe it with peroxide and apply bactoderm
3x /day.  She does not cooperate in the application process :(  My vet
says that the nail may grow back separated leaving the quick exposed, in
which case it will have to be removed.  Agh!  If she was not a white
dog, I would never have known that there was anything wrong!

Any experience with this?  What is the likeihood that it will need to be
removed?  Any advice?

Stephanie & Anais