Re: [PyrNet-L] Canine Senility

In a message dated 4/11/00 7:07:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, PyrMom@aol.com
writes:

<< I hope someone on the list has information which I need.  Thank you all
for
 caring about Paddy.  We really need some serious prayer wheel spinning and
 dew claw crosses!

 Stephanie and Paddy >>

     Dear Stephanie, My heart goes out to you, you are going through a trying
time. We have a dog who  is 15 years, she is a Springer mix, she has had this
problem for the last 3 years. There is a drug that can help it is called
Anipryl,it usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks to kick in, but it has helped a
lot of dogs. In our case it helped a little but she had already had the
problem for three years, it works better for dogs who have just begun this
process. Our dog Kona is also deaf, she will stare in to space for  an hour
or will just walk around in a daze. She also has now become incontinent, we
will take her out and she will forget she has to go, come back in and pee in
the floor. She will forget us for short periods of time and snap at us, she
will go to the water bucket and just stare at it for 10 min. and then get a
drink. We know that her time is very short, and we would put her to sleep but
she is in excellent health otherwise, so we are trying to live with this
process for as long as we can.
    I would try the Anipryl as soon as possible, if your vet doesn't know
about it, he or she can look it up it is new and does work in  a lot of dogs.
I will say it is expensive as for our 40 pound dog it runs about $55.00 a
month, but it is an option. My prayers and thoughts are with you and Paddy, I
wish I could have been more help to you. hang in there! How old is Paddy,
that is one of the things I have feared is one of my Pyr's doing this in the
future, as we have 1 that is 6 and 2 that are 5, I know that they get older
faster than other breeds, that is the only thing about Pyr's that I hate.

Debbie and the Pyr gang