[PyrNet-L] well, we got one!

	Hi all!  You may remember me from my post a few weeks ago:

>        So just out of curiosity, I'll give this hypothetical situation:
> you and your house-cohabitators are about to go to dinner, or a movie,
> or out, I don't know, shopping for china, maybe.  (Suffice it to say you
> can't take your beloved furry companion with you.)
>
>        Your Pyr is happily sitting on the hillside in your backyard,
> enjoying the evening breeze and the smells it carries.  You don't ever
> leave your animal outside while you're away, so you call her.  And she
> gives you that "WHAT?" look, and doesn't move an inch, otherwise.  How
> do you get her in the house so that you can leave? Do you have to tramp
> out there and haul her in with a leash?  Keep calling until she figures
> it's easier to come in than listen to you making yourself hoarse?
>
>       Just wondering.  :)
-----

	Well, we got one.  We found a lovely girl who was 2 years old and
in need of a good home through Michigan Pyr Rescue.  We drove 5 hours to
meet her, decided she was great, and brought her back.  Now it's been two
weeks, a name change, and a little scuffling within the pack to settle
who's in charge (seems to be our other pup, a 2 1/2 year-old shepard/chow
mix, even though she's smaller) but all seems to be settling down pretty
nicely, now.

	She's all white except for very small wolf-gray markings on her
ears and a slightly "creamier" beige patch kinda off the back side of her
head, very sweet, and perhaps just a bit insistent when she wants some
lovin'.  (She takes her nose and shoves it under our arms and lifts,
basically tossing it up onto the top of her head -- hilarious, as long as
it's not while you're trying to write out your bills!)  I've never seen
such a cuddler, though -- the instant my girlfriend lies down on the bed,
*poof*, Daphne is there to curl up right next to her, usually rolling over
on her back, with her back legs splayed (have you seen "Bowfinger"?  You'd
know exactly what I'm talking about!) and all her parts exposed to the
world.  Shy, she's not.

	She's also QUITE the food stealer.  We've been crating her during
the morning and afternoons while we're at work (we come home for lunch)
but on the third or fourth day with her, decided to leave her out while we
ran to Petsmart for food and treats.  We were gone all of 30 minutes.  She
took a bag of Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Milano cookies (still new &
sealed, mind you) off the middle of the kitchen table, ate half of the
foil-lined paper bag and all of the cookies (yes the little paper cups
that separate the layers of cookies were carefully removed!)  Crumbs all
over the floor.  Fortunately, it didn't seem to be enough chocolate to
cause her any problems or discomfort.

	A couple of days after that, she stole a New York strip steak from
the top of the stove (not on) where a plate was waiting to go outside for
grilling.  Luckily, we'd purchased a set of five steaks for the four
people there.  (We went ahead and grilled that fifth steak separately and
fed it to the dogs -- they are SO spoiled.)  It goes without saying we
watch where we put food now, and we don't leave it out.  We're still
working on "Paws Off" when she starts to climb on the bed in our bedroom
or the kitchen table (just the front paws, she likes to stand up) and have
faith that soon she'll be familiar with the household doggy ordinance.  :)

        We are still working on the "coming-when-called" thing, though.
She's not half bad, but I think that's because she's always up for some
attention or treats.  If she was chasing down a fascinating smell in our
backyard, I have no expectations...  ;)

	Anyway, despite the thieving tendencies, we couldn't be happier
with her.  She's too sweet not to adore!

	-Eric W.

PS> Anyone use clicker training with a Pyr?  How'd it work for you?  I'm
interested in trying it out, but couldn't find a clicker at Petsmart.  The
manager said there hadn't been enough demand for that sort of thing.  Odd!
I'm guessing I'll have to order some kind of kit online somewhere if I do
decide to pursue it... anyone know a good place to find them?

---------
Systems/Network Administrator & Webmaster | IU School of Journalism
<http://www.journalism.indiana.edu/> |  Office VOX/VM: 812.855.4918
<http://php.indiana.edu/~ewacker> | site includes my PGP public key