RE: [PyrNet-L] Canine Senility

Hello Stephanie,

A lot of things could be the cause of paddy's strange behaviour - both
neurological and systemic - he needs a thorough workup by a neurologist.  I
have never seen dementia in a dog - not that it doesn't exist - I have just
never seen it. This cognitive disorder being mentioned is just that -
dementia. Deprenyl (Selegiline)  has not been proven effective in humans for
treatment of dementia(specifically Alzheimer's Disease) - it is no longer
indicated for dementia. As far as its use in dogs, I am not sure what the
veterinary literature says - but until it is proven as more that anectodal,
you may want to refrain from using the drug. This drug can cause side
effects at doses higher than 10mg in humans and can be fatal in higher doses
when combined with certain foods.  I am not sure how effective it will be
with your Paddy.

Some causes of dementia are reversible and treatable.

Has he recently had any injuries to his head or body? Been exposed to
toxins? Experienced a traumatic event?

I hope your vet can help.

All the best, Tania

Tania Xerri