Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:Breed Clubs

I dont think of it as closed ,this my education time that is never
ending in this dog world.I am not a member of ASSA but I'm part of the
sheltie network for rescue & am the contact person for Pyrs & Shelties
for our local shelter. Just because there are more shelties in rescue
than pyrs (which I'm thankful there is not) has nothing to do with the
National breed Club policy of membership. ASSA is responsible for over
2000 rescue success stories last year.also The National has a herding
trial,agility OB Jrs & conformation versatile awards & rescue parade
also the sheltie e-mail listers  many that are not ASSA members raffled
a handmade"sheltie quilt that made several thousand dollars for the
rescue program .Realize the breeds that are more popular with the
general public are going to have more rescues because the  BYB & PM's
have a easy market for a small dog "that every child want's a little
Lassie" The attributes that you list for Shelties can describe most of
my Pyrs also only in 100 lb size.
This thread of "How hard it was to get in the club"was on the Sheltie
list a while back &when you get right down the consenus was you want it
to be a challenge & a privilege to join. There is a code of ethics  When
it is too easy to get in a club is when BYB & the PM's can join & then
use the membership to make themselves look respectable.
 Our local breed club had us join at the meeting .took our money & their
only function beside the two fun matches & two shows a year was the
monthly meeting to eat out at a restaurant! We were never asked our
ethics as  dog owners or breeders. I myself tried to get more club
involment in rescue & community service.I know some clubs are different
but this was my experience.
Breed clubs are for the betterment of the breed .thats why there is
procedures on the requirements to join them.JMOO
BTW in our small city in Mt 4 adult pyrs & a litter of mixed pyrs have
been placed in the last 6 months by a local group of people helping
local homeless pets .Several Shelties have found forever homes also.
  Kalyn Allison GPCA member & Canine Sports Club member

---- Begin included message ----
In a message dated 4/17/00 8:57:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,