Re: [PyrNet-L] Help with problem-late reply

>>Hi,
>>
>>I need some advice on a rather embarrassing problem.  My male pyr is
>>really
>>bad about sniffing us and guests (and people we meet on the street) in
>>inappropriate places.

   Ah, what a normal dog but embarrassing human situation! And Pyrs are just
at the right height to goose...

We've tried a very stern "no!" and now have
>>moved on
>>swatting him.  When he does this, he now scrunches up his eyes like he
>>knows he's going to get swatted but it doesn't deter the behavior.

  PLEASE do NOT swat your Pyr. For some reason Pyrs are especially sensitive
to this and in the long run you can create an unpredictable
response just when you are asking the dog to behave himself. In other words
it can create confusion and anxiety in a dog who should be responding
happily to meeting friends. And as you've said- it doesn't deter the
behaviour.

>>I have
>>looked through a dozen books and searched for info on the internet about
>>this problem but have found absolutely no literature on it.  Any advice?
>>He is around 3 years old and was only neutered a few months ago.  Is it
>>hopeless?

  Not at all! You can try to redirect his behaviour (takes time, patience
and lots of practice) in a positive way. Why not have him sit to greet all
newcomers? At first practice with him on a leash, then off-leash, then get
your guests to have him sit. If he is food directed (mine are!) use treats
off and on (keep him guessing or "random reward")
and have your guests use treats as well. Only reward if he sits and is calm.
Let guests hold out their hands/arms for him to sniff- this may be enough of
a whiff for him. Even with this some dogs are just determined "greeters"- at
that point all you can do is warn your friends and hope that they have dogs
who are equally "determined"! In my case, it is the infamous PyrPaw that
gets the most startled reaction from friends! Good luck- Ame and Pushkin