[PyrNet-L] Re: Breed Clubs

> Breed Clubs are no different from anything else.  Most all of this eventually
> boils down to politics and power.  When you have your power base fairly
> consolidated it serves you well not to allow open membership.  It happens all
> the time under many guises, but the result is the same i.e. a small group
> having undue influence on matters primarily for their own agenda.

And I thought I had a jaded attitude. I personally could not agree more Joe.

If you are a member of a club whose charter is the betterment, protection
and welfare of your chosen breed, how can you expect this to be
accomplished if you exclude and deny membership to the very people who can
do so much damage to the breed?  Bring them in, welcome them, educate
them, challenge them to do the right thing by the breed. Then if they do not,
censor them. Take away their membership. And make it public that this
has occured. Make the phrase "member in good standing" mean something
to be proud of. And apply this evenhandedly to old members as well
as new.

And I am not just talking about the GPCA here. I have seen it in other
clubs where the power struggles are simply that, with the old guard not
wanting to relingquish an ounce of power to someone other than their
secect group. And in the process, they also cover for some pretty rude
and unethical behavior of the part of "their own". I guess its just human
nature. Wish they were more like their dogs.

Unfortunately, because of this, our breed and the individual dogs within
the breed, suffer.

My two cents worth,

Carol Boyle
carol@naturaldogfood.com