Re: [PyrNet-L] GPCA & PS:Bulletin

Joe and other on the topic,

> ...IMHO, it is better to have open membership and the
> code of ethics should/could take care of the renegades.

<lurk mode OFF>

I don't think you can simplify the issue this way - the current
membership requirement has a purpose.  As you have eluded to, it is
quite difficult to terminate a membership.  The two-year requirement
would prevent me from signing the form of, at least, the most blatant
offenders of the Code of Ethics.  But again, I agree - this will not
stop me from being fooled by someone intent on deception.

I never did want to serve as a moral guardian of others' behavior...
(nor would I be the one selected, were there such a thing... ;-)

I am sure that a completely open membership policy would be warmly
welcomed by all sorts of puppymillers and the like - heck, if I was in
the business of cranking out Pyr pups for profit, I'd love to smack the
GPCA logo on all my sales material...

Lastly, I am perfectly aware that this policy can come off as offensive
and that it may be exceedingly difficult for people in remote areas to
join but it wasn't instituted without reason.  Remember also, that this
requirement is relatively new, and with all new rules come later
modifications.  I am sure that over time, at least the issue of remote
location will be addressed.

Patric.

PS  As for the Bulletin and subscribing without being a member...  I
would never be so foolish to say I can find all the information
elsewhere - there is no such thing as too much knowledge.  To let one's
ego get in between and be offended by a policy when Darrell's *very*
nice and highly informative Bulletin could be available is just silly.

<lurk mode ON>

=====
"Sage Advice Improves with Thyme"

Patric Lundberg, PhD