[PyrNet-L] Re: HEALTH: Rabies Alert - Pennsylvania

In a message dated 4/27/00 9:54:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
pyrnet-l-owner@pyrnet.org writes:

    Hi all,
     I am forwarding this from another of my lists -- since there are so many
 of you from the northeast USA I thought you needed to see this
 Pam >>
Here in Texas, the major rabies reservoir is the coyote.  In order to combat
the incidence of rabies among coyotes and wild dogs in south Texas, they
developed first an oral rabies vaccine, then a means of distributing it to
the target population.  The oral vaccine was found to be effective in the
prevention of rabies and to have a low incidence of causing rabies in
inoculated animals.  The distribution was a special plastic encased sausage
(kind of like a "Slim Jim") that the animals found tasty.  These were dropped
from aircraft in targeted areas.

  I found it very interesting to first read about the vaccine in Scientific
American about 4-5 years back, then about a year later see it discussed in a
newsletter on infectious disease control procedures here in Texas.  We got to
watch the entire procedure from inception to analysis of results.

Maybe those of you in the Northeast should be contacting your health
officials about getting those special Slim Jims in your area.  They would
probably prove as appetizing to your skunks and foxes as they are to the
Texas coyotes.

Jack and Belle of the Amarillo Mts.
Marci and Montana Bear