Re: [PyrNet-L] Degenerative Myelopathy

Joe,

Degenerative myelopathy is when a dog's own immune system attacks his
central nervous system.  I think this mainly happens in their lower spine.
 It commonly affects German Shepherds, and usually appears between 5-14
years old.  Some symptoms can be a weak rear end, unsteady rear legs, a
general wobbliness/shakiness in the rear legs when standing/walking, and I
even read that they can get a hoarseness in their bark (which mine has!).
It isn't curable, so to speak, but you can try to slow the process down.
DM is very similiar to what MS is in people.

To all who have responded,

Thanks for the info.  I now have some other resources to look into, and
the web sites have been very helpful. I appreciate any info I can get so
that I can do the best that I can to help Lia.

Thanks again,
Angela