Re: [PyrNet-L] Degenerative Myelopathy

shirliad@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Degenerative myelopathy is when a dog's own immune system attacks his
 central nervous system.  I think this mainly happens in their lower spine. >>

Not so sure about the immune system, as it classically appears in family
groups, even though it will skip generations and individuals.  It does affect
the forequarters as well, but is not noticed as quickly.  Not sure that it is
diagnosed with any lab values as opposed to clinical observations and
symptoms.  This is the problem with it being misdiagnosed or missed often.
Many older dogs have a small degree of it that is simply put down as old age,
but is a mild form of the disease.  Most dogs I have seen with it have a very
slow course of decline and we have had dogs that lived until almost 14 year
old who had it somewhere about 8 years old.  As they get older they are a
challenge to keep going as nothing seems to be better for them than exercise.
 Any interruption in their activity can exacerbate the symptoms markedly and
they must be back up on their feet walking.  I have seen dogs who literally
walked on their fronts using their almost flaccid rears as a "rudder and
stabilizing point" of reference.  You can notice the symptoms of a rhymatical
flexing of the front toes as a sign that the condition has reached the
advanced stages of involvement.  They also will have loss of spincter control
of the anus thus you will see them pooping as they walk and the poop
literally falls out of them as they walk.  They also cannot hunker down in
the conventual manner to poop.  You will notice the poop has fallen out of
them as they sleep.  All signs that the condition has advanced.

Again if necessary force them up their feet and make them walk.  It will
inhibit the pathological flexing reflexes and help them immensely.  We have
noticed that holding the tail up seems to stimulate the extension mechanism
they need for walking and help them start the cross reflexes they have used
their whole life in gait.  In people this is a bipedal set of alternating
inhibition and habitans of muscle groups.  In dogs this is of course
quadruped and involves alternate quadruped locomotion groups.  In other words
the left front, then right rear, the right front and left rear.  This might
not be the exact sequence, but for explanation purposes serves the purpose.
Being on their feet stimulates the extension forcing them to move makes the
automatic muscle group activity work.  Not so sure there is much of a sensor
component, but logically there must be some as in MS in people.

Hope this helps.

Joe