Re: [PyrNet-L] Degenerative Myelopathy

--- JGentzel@aol.com wrote:
> Not so sure about the immune system, as it classically appears in
> family groups, even though it will skip generations and individuals.
> It does affect the forequarters as well, but is not noticed as
quickly.

Joe,

I did find a single reference in the literature about inappropriate
attacks by the immune system as a possible reason for DM:

"Immunohistochemical evidence for immunoglobulin and complement
 deposition in spinal cord lesions in degenerative myelopathy in
 German shepherd dogs."
 Can J Vet Res 1994 Jan;58(1):20-4
 Barclay KB; Haines DM

But as you already eluded to, there could be other reasons for loss of
lower (or upper) spinal function, even relatively harmless
abnormalities as cycts pushing on nerve bundles could result in
symptoms similar to those described.  I assume the consulted
veterinarian is well on top of any such "simple" explanations?

Patric

=====
"Sage Advice Improves with Thyme"

Patric Lundberg, PhD