Re: [PyrNet-L] Degenerative Myelopathy

pyrsrgr8@yahoo.com writes:

<<  did find a single reference in the literature about inappropriate
 attacks by the immune system as a possible reason for DM:

 "Immunohistochemical evidence for immunoglobulin and complement
  deposition in spinal cord lesions in degenerative myelopathy in
  German shepherd dogs."
  Can J Vet Res 1994 Jan;58(1):20-4
  Barclay KB; Haines DM

 But as you already eluded to, there could be other reasons for loss of
 lower (or upper) spinal function, even relatively harmless
 abnormalities as cycts pushing on nerve bundles could result in
 symptoms similar to those described.  I assume the consulted
 veterinarian is well on top of any such "simple" explanations?

 Patric >>

Thanks for the info.  I believe we might actually be dealing with more than
one disease that is (can be) diagnosed clinically as DM.  That's why I asked
the question like I did.  Unfortunately I have seen a lot of it and I have
seen it in old dogs of others that they are not recognizing as well.  We
never see it before about 7 or 8 years old, but I do not run neuro exams
either.  If I did, I might identify it much sooner.   I am not sure there are
any lab values that help us out much here.  Does anyone know?  This happens
all the time with MS  in people or is misdiagnosed as something else.  Spinal
Stenosis or any upper motor neuron disease involvement might give these
symptoms.  Problem, the symptoms are not so near and clear cut many times.
Too many non classical types.  Anyway, I guess we can deal with the
symptomology as best we can.

Joe