Re: [pyrnet] Re: Grooming fee

Hi Bridget,
    In 31 years with Pyrs, we have never had one of our dogs catch or tear a dew
claw.  Briards are the only other AKC recognized breed w. double dew claws....I
would not want to take away that special characteristic of our breed.  The other
thing, removing the double dew claws is not a simple operation...it means
cutting through a lot of bone, muscle and flesh and it seems to me would be a
major operation (how would you keep him from chewing on the wounds?)
    Watch out that your boy doesn't start to get skin problems from too frequent
bathing.  Most Pyrs have quite a dry coat (not oily and stinky like the water
dogs) and can get itchy if they are bathed too often.  Usually they do well with
brushing a couple of times a week.  My house dogs stay very clean with bathing
only about 3-4 times a year.
Charlotte (who is about to take up Pyr-washing for profit!)