Re: [pyrnet] Leonberger?

On 15 Jul 2000, at 18:42, clhenke@juno.com wrote:
> Janice, I've read in several books where they think the Pyr. was involved
> in the Newf.  Supposedlythat's where you see the Landseer coloration?
> Just what I have read.  Cindy

Yes, that's been put in some books.  There's no proof that the pyr
was involved in it's development.  It's believed that the original breed
was developed as the result of basque fishermen sailing between
Newfoundland and their homeland and bringing dogs into
Newfoundland that were used for breeding to the local ones and I
have a hard time fathoming that pyrs were used as dogs on fishing
boats though it's believed that there were similar ancestors in some
of the mastiffs.  The newf is one of the older breeds in existance.
The newf as we know it today was developed largely in 19th
century England and America.  Colors, solid black is dominant or
BB.  The landseer is recessive to the solid black or bb, and is the
result of the piebald gene which places the self-color on a white
background.  Solid bronze is recessive to black and solid gray is a
dilute of black.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices