[pyrnet] Re: Not bathing

>>Lene, isn't it true though that the dogs are presented differently over
there than in this country, in the show ring I mean?   Cindy   >>

Cindy, I am sure there are differencies, but maybe not as big as you think. Europe is not just Europe, it is a lot of different countries with different cultures. In the middle and south of Europe it is true that many pyrs are not washed before a show, some seem not even to be brushed out, but in the northern part of Europe, Scandinavia f.in. where I live, things are different, and most pyrs are shown newly washed, many dried with a blower to present a big fluffy coat, and to my horror I have even seen a few in the last couple of years with the coat carefully cut to present the shape the owner want.
I know of many breeds that has developed larger and larger coat over the years due to show judges prefering the big showy coat to a more natural and easier to manage coat. I would hate to see that happen to the pyr, but I think it is already so in many cases. It makes me sad to hear about show coats and lgd coats, they should all have lgd coats.
Washed and brushed as for a show the original hard coat quality is lovely, why change it ?

I mostly wash my dogs for shows, but my male Saki is the exception. He is 9 years now and I don't show him much more now, but when I did most times he was not washed, as I did not like the look of him newly washed, no matter what shampoo I tried it made his coat soft, giving him a baby like appearance that did not suit a grown male. He was always well brushed out though. Saki was one of the most winning males in the nineties, so he was proof that with a good judge if the dog is good enough he can still win although he is the only unwashed pyr in the show. This may be different in the States. I think it was also a problem in the group competion, often with an other judge that may not know much of the breed and so many showy dogs, but for me the important thing is the breed competion.

I find most newly washed pyrs beautyful to look at, but deep down I prefer the French way of thinking, that it is the type of the dogs that is being judged and not the groomer.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk
http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/