Re: [pyrnet] Re: Not bathing

In a message dated 7/16/00 2:56:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sandybear@intercity.dk writes:

<<  I would hate to see that happen to the pyr, but I think it is already so
in many cases. It makes me sad to hear about show coats and lgd coats, they
should all have lgd coats.
 Washed and brushed as for a show the original hard coat quality is lovely,
why change it ?

I agree with Lene.  In North America the coats that are the most
objectionable to me but loved by the ignorant judges are the "stand off" coat
that is more wiry.  These groom out great but are the worst type breed coat.
Dogs cannot work in these coats very long and certainly when they shed the
guard coat just catches the soft undercoat and Mats.  About two weeks of this
and the dog is "mat bound" and if wet at all during this time, full of "hot
spots."  To me coat is the worst we show people have done to the breed.  The
lovely flat guard coat is beautiful and holds up great.  As far as grooming
is concerned, Lene is right.  In parts of Europe they do not groom like we do
in North America, but there is nothing wrong with that.  Rarely do you see
dogs that are absolutely unattended to prior to showing.  I wish we were more
like that here, but the judges (most of them but thankfully not all of them)
would never see the dog if we did not compete in the grooming area.  Makes
you wonder what they see anyway?
It is up to our breeders and our breed clubs to hammer away at these things.
Unfortunately little is being done in these areas that I am aware.  We are
all culpable in this area.  Problem is, when someone starts trying to sound
the trumpet, those who are breeding the other coat and grooming it out to a
"T" are right on top of it objecting and clouding the issue.

You have to be concerned when your handler is told by a judge that "Maybe
these coats are not correct, but this is a dog show and the dogs don't work
anymore."  "GRoan"
If you wondered before, wonder no longer.

Joe