RE: [pyrnet] not sure about trainer's methods

	>>> So anyway, how does all of this sound to those of
	> you
	> who are more experienced with trainers?
	>
	> Oh yeah, one final thing, it was interesting for me
	> see that Leo is WAAAY bigger than either of his show
	> Pyrs (both adults-one male, one female)

Katie, I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable! I would too. I do think
I would try and find someone in your area that uses positive reinforcement.
I found that works much better with Montana Bear (and he is more than just a
little alpha dominant).

I can't take it when a trainer is like this one appears to be. I don't know
about the dogs, but they make me want to cry when I see them treating the
dogs that way. But maybe I'm too soft hearted. I'm sure others on the list
whom have more experience will give you advice, but IMHO if I'm
uncomfortable, I'm sure my dog would be also. If nothing else he would pick
up on my uneasiness. Montana is very sensitive to how I am feeling and gets
very protective when I am upset. :-)

My friend, Jack, says, "Anytime you are uncomfortable with a trainer on the
first night, walk out and request your money back.  If you are
uncomfortable, so is your dog.  Even if the trainer were presenting good
techniques (and I don't think this one is) you would not follow his lead, so
why pay to be taught what you won't use?  Get up.  Get out.  Get your money
back."

Good luck with the training, what ever you decide to do.

Marci Gruhlkey and Montana Bear

marci.gruhlkey@asc.mhmr.state.tx.us