Re: [pyrnet] not sure about trainer's methods

<<My friend, Jack, says, "Anytime you are uncomfortable with a trainer on
the first night, walk out and request your money back.  If you are
uncomfortable, so is your dog.  Even if the trainer were presenting good
techniques (and I don't think this one is) you would not follow his lead, so
why pay to be taught what you won't use?  Get up.  Get out.  Get your money
back." >> Marci Gruhlkey

As a trainer/instructor I would have to strongly agree with these words of
advice.  If you are uncomfortable, get out and get your money back.

I would also agree that there are much more positive techniques you can use
that are just as if not more (I would say much more!!!) effective. (And IMO
from the information you gave Katie, it doesn't sound like he was reading
these dogs body language/behaviour very well :-( .)

If anyone wants to learn a more positive method for teaching a dog not to
jump up, I would be happy to explain :-).

As for training on a pinch collar (every dog right from the beginning?
<shiver>), please don't get me started :-/

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm