Re: [pyrnet] Puppy Food

Cindy, I don't know of anyone off hand who feeds these as
supplements as precaution, although some probably do so. I've
only given them when I knew there was a problem. B.B., who was
dysplastic and had pretty bad arthritis in one hip at 4 years,
started on them at about the age of 7 years, which is when I
found out about them, and she was showing some discomfort. These
2 (Glucosamine and Chrondroitin) with the addition of DLPA (for
pain management, she had a bad reaction to aspirin, even enteric
coated) were all she got from the age of 7 up until 2 or 3 months
before I had her euthanized. She was about 9 1/2 when she went to
the Bridge. The last 2 or 3 months she was on Rimadyl. I did not
have to introduce the DLPA until she was about 8 1/2. My personal
feeling is, save them until you need them, but I don't know if
there's any harm in using them as a precaution. BTW, the Vet
didn't think she'd make it much past 7. But B.B. was stoic and
enjoyed life to the fullest. Even went on a few backpacking trips
at 8 years old! Guess my Vet didn't know how stubborn she was!
LOL Then, one day morning when I came downstairs, she was unable
to rise and was crying in pain. She passed over to the Bridge
about an hour later. But, Glucosamine and Chrondroitin certainly
enabled her to have a few more years with us and have some real
quality of life.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs) & Flopsy (Pyr Shep)
bamb@monmouth.com