[pyrnet] CHAT: Bo's Adventure, My Coronary

Bo had an adventure today! Somehow, he and Chelsea managed to let
themselves out of the house (through an inside door and a storm
door and then reclose these doors) and out of one or both of 2
latched gates and then relatch these gates. My Dad noticed
Chelsea strolling down the driveway at 2:15 PM and he let her
back in the house. (she's no fool! 90 degrees here today with
about 90% humidity) He neglected to check for Bo before leaving
for his PT appointment. My daughter returned home from
babysitting around 4:00 PM and could not find Bo. She was
frantic. I returned home from work at 5:00 PM to my dog missing.
She tells me the dog has been missing for around 3 hours, if not
more. I'm ready to collapse. I calm down and call the local
Police. They tell me they have my dog, he was picked up by animal
control. They give me the number for animal control. I call and
get a machine and leave a message. I then call the Jersey Shore
Animal Shelter (which is the one that is the closest) and they
tell me they only take the animals from Bricktown. (we do not
live in Bricktown) They tell me they think that this town sends
their strays to the Dover Shelter. The kind woman gives me the
number. I call, get a recording that tells me they are open from
12:00PM - 2:00 PM. (How do they expect to adopt any animals out
with these hours!) I call the Police back, and they tell me that
they have contacted "Muskrat Jack" (our local animal control) and
he still has Bo in his possession and he would be calling me. A
few minutes later he calls. He has Bo at his house (2 blocks
away) and I go pick him up. He looked every bit of his 9 1/2
years, I tell you! He had drooled all over his bib and his front
legs (Bo almost never drools), probably from stress coupled with
the heat. I don't know where Jack was keeping him as he was
sitting on the walk with Bo when I got there. Bo was very hot and
we came right home to the A/C. I went out to talk to the
neighbors to try to find out how long he'd been out. When I came
back in, Bo was gone again! Evidently he had started vomiting and
my Son had put him outside and left him out there!!! When I let
him back in, he was even more overheated but cooled off
relatively quickly. Thank God. He seems fine now, and even ate
all his dinner. My heart has finally left my throat but I have a
killer headache from stress. No one let the dogs out or gates
open. (at least they won't admit it) I don't know how I'll manage
to go to work tomorrow. I am so thankful he's back. With all the
traffic it could very well have had a very tragic ending. And, I
just received Molly's ashes back today. Not a good day. Not a
good day at all. <S>

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs) & Flopsy (Pyr Shep)
bamb@monmouth.com