Re: [pyrnet] FWD URL: Emmett The Great

<<This URL might help get to know Emmett. He is a great dog! He just runs
everytime he gets a chance. And boy does he ever run! I haven't ever seen a
dog his size run that fast . . . He always comes home, but he can't just run
off like that. I am perplexed . . . Melvin has always been a boundries dog,
and I am not sure how to train Em to stay in boundries.>>Mer

Hi Mer and welcome :-)

I am afraid you are finding out something very fundamental about the Pyr -
something that everyone who owns one learns.  The only way to teach them
about boundaries is to create one - preferably one that is 6ft and strong.

The tendency to wander and establish a large territority is a completely
inbuilt instinct in the breed.  They want to establish a large area to
patrol and protect and if there is no boundary to stop them, this is what
they will do.

This is why fences are so VERY important for Pyrs.  This is also one of the
reasons why they can not be trusted off-lead when they are not in an
enclosed area.

Cheers!

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia