[pyrnet] HEALTH, CHAT: Clondike--Pyrenean Mountain Cat?

Clondike is a Great Pyrenees bitch who was 12 years and 9 months old this
Saturday.  We count the months because she is a cancer survivor, having
been diagnosed with canine lymphoma 26 months ago and having achieved 3
remissions with a combination of chemotherapy, Chinese herbal therapy and
various dietary supplements.  She is currently more than 14 months
post-chemo on remission #3.

Clondike has slowed down some in the past few months and is having quite a
bit of trouble getting around due to arthritis.  This has not dimmed her
spirit, however, and she manages quite a full schedule of medical and
social appointments.  Just this Sunday she managed a 75 minute therapy
session at our local nursing home where she was a big hit as usual.  She
thoroughly enjoyed the marathon ear scratching and petting.

We are treating the arthritis conservatively with super oxidyzing
dismutase (SOD), Bufferin, and flax oil.  We have tried a variety of oral
joint treatments containing various combinations of glucosamine,
chondroitin, MSM and creatine.  Each new medicine has resulted in
diarrhea, so we have just begun a course of Adequan injections,
supplemented by creatine for muscle development.  This brings me to the
title of the message.

When we went in the vet office Monday evening to get the second shot of
Adequan, the dog waiting room was literally full to the bursting
point.  The receptionist suggested we wait in the cat waiting room which
was empty at the time.  As soon as Clondike got settled, a client came in
with a cat and I introduced Clondike as an extremely rare Pyrenean
Mountain Cat--but I don't think he was convinced.

The Adequan seems to be helping, however Clondike sprained something
jerking around to flirt with a Great Dane at the vet office and she
actually limped out more creaky than she went in.

I've posted some photos of Clondike from 2 weeks ago when her Barney Babe
visited from Florida.  He definitely perked her up.  Check them out at:

http://www.pyrbred.org/soclit

David

 David Kintsfather, Ph.D.       | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Prof. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | E-MAIL:      kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     | "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |              Francis David