Re: [pyrnet] Staph Infections - Immune System

On 12 Aug 2000, at 16:37, PyrMom@aol.com wrote:
> As you may be aware,
> the staph bacteria is a common bacteria found in mammals.  Paddy is not able
> to fight off the staph bacteria and has constant rashes and infections from
> this.  Recently I had several skin scrapings, cultures and biopsies done to
> be sure this was the problem and all tests have come back as staph.

If it hasn't been done this is a case where you really need to check
the thyroid and do a full thyroid panel.  An initial panel is usually
ctsh, t4, free t4.  If that's low start thyroid immediately and pull
through the antiobiotics and should see the staph stop.
Hypothyroidism is a common cause of frequent and untreatable
staph dermatitis.  If you're getting a borderline or very low normal
thyroid still start thyroid, low dose, and pull the thyroid more into
the normal range.  You'll see something where levels are normal
but cellular circulating levels are not really normal.  The thyroid
panel to do if your vet will work with you is the Michigan State
panel to get ctsh, t4, free t4, t3, free t3 and thyroid autoantibody to
t4 & t3.  There is primary hypothyroidism and secondary
hypothyroidism.  Positive for the antibodies means autoimmune
thyroidism is present and the thyroid is really failing and is doing
what is called compensating but is causing problems.  Can see
rarely a pituitary problem if both tsh and t4 are both low, and
conversion problems t4 to t3.  Dogs convert t4 to t3 just like people
do.  And usually, if do a blood profile, on a dog with a failing
thyroid, will see high cholesterol, possibly anemia, or low white
blood count.

If the thyroid is normal then you're back to square 1 and once
staph is present and starts there are cases where are allergic to
staph and the problem just multiplies as they start scratching.  It's
time to start look at allergy testing and allergy shots.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices
Hutto, TX