Re: [pyrnet] Temperamental foods...

<< I explained to her that the possibility existed that the dog may be
having some sort of reaction to one or more of the myriad colors, fillers or
artificial preservatives contained within that which he ate. She changed dog
foods to a natural brand without all the other "stuff" in it. A month later
she called back to thank me as there had been marked improvement in his
behavior. The possibility, in my mind, exists that the dog was having some
sort of physical reaction to something contained in the previous food that
was causing his unacceptable behavior.........I don't know personally of any
real scientific studies that have confirmed this to be fact. I only know
that I have attended a few Behavioral Seminars where aggressive behavior in
certain dogs had been put forth as due to what they were fed.>>Barb Bowes

This is one of the things that has always facinated me - the way food can
affect behaviour.  As many of you will know I am a proponent of feeding a
natural whole foods diet and moderate a few lists on that subject (including
one with over 2000 members! ;-) ).  One of the things that comes up fairly
frequently is people writing to the list amazed at how changing their dogs
diet has affected their personality.  Many 'hyper' dogs become more mellow
and easier to live with and others who were sluggish and 'lazy' gain more
energy and 'joie de vivre'.  Many just seem to become more 'contented' and
'even' in their behaviour. Of course this doesn't happen to every dog, but
enough to draw the conclusion that food can definitely have an effect on the
way a dog behaves.

As an obedience instructor I have also attended quite a number of seminars
and lectures where the subject has been raised.  One of the things we are
consistently taught is to consider diet as well when looking at behaviour
:-).

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au