Re: [pyrnet] Choke collar or Prong collar???

<<Good morning to all.  I was wondering if I might be able to get some input
on ya'lls ideas, opinions and what not on choke collars vs. prong collars.

Which do you believe works better?  What do you use (one of these or
something else)? Are you a trainer/breeder?  Why do you feel the way that
you do?>> Bridget

I am catching up on a lot of back-mail at the moment so forgive me for being
so late with a reply to this.

Ok, put simply, I do not believe in using a prong collar and am not overly
fussed with a choke chain either although I do use one occasionally (eg in
the showring).  Realise that prong collars are very much frowned upon in
this country and to my knowledge can not be easily purchased unless bought
from overseas.

Yes, I am a trainer.  If looking for something to help with a strong pulling
dog, the Halti or Gentle Leader have been found to be very effective.  We
use them when needed in the large club where I teach.  One of the basic
rules of training is 'control the head, control the dog' and the Halti and
Gentle Leader, which are similar to a horses head collar, do this very
effectively.  I also tend to use a half-slip type collar in preference to
others for general use (the Premier Collar is my favourite).

A tip for when additional control is needed when using a half-slip or choke
collar - again along the principles of 'control the head, control the dog' -
placing it up behind the ears and around under the chin instead of further
down the neck gives extra control of the head and thus the whole dog (you
will notice this is where the collar is placed with most show dogs).

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm