Re: [pyrnet] Choke collar or Prong collar???

I would like to second Tracy on this one.  Evidently missed the original
letter.

I do use choke collars, both for obedience and of course the fine elegant
ones for conformation.   When used correctly I do not find them to be a
problem.  When they are not?  Well I am sure that any kind of a collar
would be abusive in the wrong hands.  I have always been able to control
my dogs with a choke.  Once they learn that they make that chain tighten
if they pull, they don't pull, or they don't pull beyond a comfort level,
even if they are real excited.  Most of the time, it hangs around their
necks.

I am very opposed to prong type.  I think they actually come across as
obvious, and the stories of holes in the neck and terrible wounds, says
it all.  Of course that is also a matter of abusive handling, but when
the stores now come out with rubber tips to slip over the prongs, I think
it is a good indication of a problem attempting to be covered up.

I've never used the Halti type collars, but having horses I would think
that the concept is sound.  I suppose some moron could go around reefing
a poor dogs head all over the place ( a horse has an advantage in that
respect ), but if we are talking about common sense handling of any of
these collars, I would think this is probably the best way, especially in
people who are afraid they can't control their dog.  I've hear these may
take a little more getting used to for the dog, and some extra time and
effort may be required here.

I really do like the half slip collars and would like to get all of my
gang into them.  For an all purpose collar, and something to hang those
tags on, this seems like a really sensible solution. J.M.O.  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka