[pyrnet] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20000828

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:49:18 -0500 conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com
<mailto:conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com>  wrote

Katie - <snip>  He'll proably figure that out too....sometimes I feel like
I'm just buying time...<g>

Yes, and it always turns out that you never bought as much time as you
thought you were paying for.

I had an escape artist Samoyed and ended up using a four foot chain link
fence with a hot wire on top to prevent climbing, and a hot wire out from
the bottom to prevent digging.  Think real hard about the bottom wire.  It
has to be high enough they can't step over, low enough they can't duck their
head and go under, far enough out they can't reach the fence over it and too
close to run between the fence and the wire.  Don't even consider the "low
voltage" wires sold for "Dogs and Small Animals" they don't work.  Between
heavy coats and stoic dispositions, they pretty much ignore them.  According
to my vet ([laughing] "No, no, no.  Snowball does not qualify as 'dogs and
small animals'.  You need a regular stock charger."  I won't pretend (having
bumped it myself) that 1100 volts doesn't hurt.  It hurts like hell.  It
will not, however, cause tissue damage.  It took Snowball about 2 hours to
realize it would bite him every time he touched it, every place he touched
it.  (touch, jump back and bark for 5 minutes, wait 20, try again, jump
back, bark, try somewhere else, jump back, bark.)

Good luck.

Jack Mowery and Belle of the Amarillo Mountains