[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20000828

Can you stand one more dog/fence story?  Our Pyr stopped trying to climb the fence at about 4 yrs. That's when he discovered digging was more fun. Besides we just kept make the fence higher.
He's been able to open any gate latch since about 6 months.  We just keep padlocks on all latches. They don't have to be locked but have to be positioned so he can't 'tip' them open and knock them off.  He know by sight which ones are doable and can tip a padlock off faster than I can get to him.
But to stop the digging, hubby buried cinder blocks at the points of interest along the fence line.  That lasted about 6 months.  Buddy dug between the blocks.
Hubby buried railroad ties on top of the blocks along the fence line.  Buddy found two places where the ties did not butt against each other and they left a tiny space that I still don't know how he squeezed through.
We strung a hot wire about elbow (Buddy's) high on the inside fence line.  He never touched it that we know of, but I saw him watching our short hair dog take a hit right after installation.  Testing it myself, I would have left it alone if I were them.
When we did yard work we turned off the juice, Buddy was always watching.  A couple times the wires lost power and he knew immediately.  I think he had his yard mate testing the wire for him.
Fortunately we live in a small town, and getting out meant he walked around town. I heard he took the path we follow on our walks. I make him walk at the edge of the road, not in the yards, and he kept to that when on his own!
I feel I'm lucky Buddy puts up with our antics and interferring with his life. He's smarter than most people I know, and very observant.