Re: [pyrnet] New subscriber

Cindy and all,

Pet stores prey on the impulse buyer, or those who just
don't know any better.  Take it from one who's "been
there, done that."  Back in the dark ages, before I got
really into the dog world and learned a ton, I got three
pet store cockers over a space of a couple of years.
Suddenly, their health collectively went south.  Over
the years we've dealt with cherry eye, knee surgery
(twice), tumor removals, cataracts, glaucoma, epilepsy,
immune-related dry eye and Cushings Disease.  But at
that time, I had no idea where you got a dog other than
at a pet store.  And talk about impulse!  See the cute
puppies!  Don't they look sad in their cages?  Wouldn't
they be much happier at your house?  And of course the
usual sales pitches about the wonderful breeders.  Later
research shows that they all came from some of the
biggest puppy mills in the midwest.  So now we do
rescue.  And boycott any store that sells "AKC"
puppies.

We all have to learn some time, and those of us who
learn the hard way are sometimes the most fervent
promotors and educators of responsible breeding and
rescue.

Now, what really amazes me is all the people I see come
in the vet's where I work with $400 "terri-poos"
and "schnoodles" and "lhasa-tzus."  You can get dogs
like that for free in the paper, or for $50 at the
shelters.

Lori Whitwam
WOOF1@att.net

--