Re: [pyrnet]

<< Near the very end of last nights show they mentioned the city that was
supposedly laid out by an American Architect, and this gets a bit spotty for
me as I had to keep leaving the room, when this was on, but was it for a new
seat of government if Australia had broken away from the monarchy??  Can you
tell me what the name of the city is? >> Cindy

Its Canberra! :-)  Yes, it is our National Capital, our seat of Government
and is a planned city.  Sydney and Melbourne were fighting about who would
be the capital so they created a new one in a sheep paddock half way in
between! LOL!

A competition was run to design the city and it was won by Walter Burley
Griffin.  tThe big man-made lake in the middle of the city is called Lake
Burley Griffin after the designer.  You can read more about the city here:
http://www.tomw.net.au/cnbst1.html

I live just outside of Canberra and work there (yes, for the Government
;-) ).

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au