Re: [pyrnet] getting weight on Leo

 I'm by no means an expert, I got my first pyr only 2 yrs. ago, but I have
had some experience with needing to gain weight. I recently needed to put
some weight on one of my two pyrs, and can give you some suggestions that
worked well for me. However, at 1 yr. old and 98 lbs. I would think your boy
is at a very good weight, if not a little heavier than average.  The advise
some have given to not rush the weight until around 2 yrs. old is something I
would agree with.  I've read on the list that some like to keep their pyrs
lean, and able to feel the ribs. I personally don't like my dogs quite that
thin. I like to not be able to feel the ribs without a slight squeeze, and
not feel the backbone at all. I do want to keep mine with a contrast between
their chest and stomach area, and not give that bouncy St. Bernard walk.  In
the book "The Complete Great Pyrenees" Paul Strang states that a male of
maximum height (32") could weigh as much as 150 lbs. and be in good form. Few
pyrs are this tall, so I would go down from there as to what I would want an
adult male to weigh. At any rate, I would feed a premium large breed food,
and see how his weight goes for at least another 6 months. Than consider
putting a little effort into his weight. What has worked well for me has been
 Bil-Jack puppy food (if has one of the highest calories per cup formula ),
mixing a can of Iams chicken dog food with the dry, and upon my vets
recommendation adding a few spoons of corn oil to the mix.  If your still
concerned with the weight after this time, you can also talk to your vet
about it. There are supplements, and even steroids which can be prescribed to
greatly increase appetite. ( I'll probably get lectured for that one ).  My
pyr Bella's weight loss was brought on primarily by her allergies killing her
appetite. We put her on steroids for a short period "which I am not against
under the right circumstances "; this eased her allergies, and in her case
had the positive side effect of increasing her appetite.  Nothing like this
will likely be needed for your boy though, he sounds like he's on track to
me.  Charlie