Re: [pyrnet] Pyrs as House dogs

In a message dated 9/14/00 8:38:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com writes:

<< Do Pyrs make good house dogs?  We have experience with German Shepards
 inside - but not with Pyrenees.

 If you have a Pyr inside - how often do you let him/her out?  Is it
 unreasonable to have an indoor Pyr if you're a working couple and won't
 be home for 10 to 12 hours during the day?  How would you handle that
 situation?

Of our Pyrs, three (all 2 /12 years or older) spend a good deal of time in
the house.  During the day when we're at work, Baron is put in a kennel run
which has a wood floor.  Kes and Zoe go in the kennel area in our garage.
When we get home after work, all three are let back in the house.  About 8:00
pm, everyone is let out, and Kes (the bark-o-matic) is put out in a kennel
run for the night.  Baron and Zoe come back in the house with us.  The last
time they go out for the evening, is around 10:00.  They do fine throughout
the night, and are ready to go out again around 6:00 or 7:00 (depending if
its a work day or a weekend).  Apart from hair and drool (from Baron)
everywhere, they make wonderful house dogs.  But believe me, if you are
extremely "house proud" and expect your house to look like it just came out
of House Beautiful or the Architectural Review -- NO dog makes a great house
dog <VBG>.

I personally don't like keeping any dog in for 10 - 12 hours at a time.  I
don't think it's healthy for the system.  That's myown preference, so I'll
let people with more expertise address this issue.  BTW -- when our guys are
in their respective runs, they rarely make a mess.  However, if they do mess,
it's not a big issue either.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC