[pyrnet] one more skunk story

Hello all-
First, I'd like to say hello to everyone and that it's nice to be back on the
list again. Bridger and I have been away for about three months (somehow I
got turned around after the server crash last spring). I love seeing all the
familiar names and look forward to laughing out loud at my computer as I read
 posts from Jan in New Zealand.

I just have to tell you one more skunk story. I'll give you the short
version. Naturally, my Pyr (Slater) had an encounter with a skunk the night
before one of my husband's long-lost cousins was to visit for the first time
in years. Slater was a big girl. My first attempt to deal with the problem
was the traditional tomato juice. That didn't even make a dent in the odor.
So.......I called my vet for advice and was told to go buy several packages
of scented douche and rinse the dog with that. I went to the drug store,
selected three packages of Herbal douche, and went to the check-out counter.
There, at the cash register, was one of my students (I teach in the same
town). Mortified, I casually said..."It's for my dog" .........which, as you
can imagine, only made an awkward situation worse. She gave me the oddest
look as she rang up my sale. I suppose she was wondering if she should call
the local Humane Society - that's if she believed the purchase was for my
dog. Unfortunately, the only result was that Slater now smelled like an
Herbal skunk. Finally, her third bath - with deodorant shampoo - saved the
day and our reputation in the family. I can't say as much about my reputation
at school :>)

Knock on wood, Bridger has never met a skunk and doesn't plan to.

Lyn Malone and Bridger (sweet smelling boy)