Re: [pyrnet] Adoption of blind Pyr

Julie, the blind dog in and of itself will be fine.  Animals do very well
with blindness once they adjust to their surroundings, and with guardians
who are considerate of their situation. Adults and  young children will
have to learn to talk to the dog, always, before approaching it.  Yes
they will smell and hear, and those senses will be stronger.  But letting
them know verbally, is just the decent thing to do.  Their senses may be
occupied with something you can"t see or hear see, and you can startle
them.  If startled he may jump, and could easily knock a child down, or
possibly even bite.  Not to intentionally hurt, but just as a reaction.
Or he may never do anything.  But you have to think about it, are you
there enough to help him, look out for him, and constantly guide him with
the interaction with your kids, and strange people.  All the dogs should
be castrated, and get him now, before he starts to think of other things.
 Wolfgang needs to be done right away too, before he gets too hormonal.
Animals will often help each other, and may indeed be willing to help
this dog out.  Sometimes they can react aggressively to something that is
not normal in their world. I am just concerned that with two young kids,
and whatever goes on in your day, will you have the time and energy to
really supervise all of this as adjustments are made?  It can probably be
done, but it will require a lot of effort and commitment on your part to
see that it runs smoothly.  The poor thing can't be left to it's own
devices while adjusting.  You will not only be watching out for the dogs,
but your children too.  He is young, he is happy, he can be puppy rough,
and he can't see where his body is in space, until he becomes well used
to your place.  Are you a talker?  Will you remember to be talking to him
all the time, so that he hears you?  It is tough, most of us are more
silent than we think.  I have a blind horse, and I know how hard it is,
even after all these years, to be sure
I talk, so she is aware of where I am at all times in relationship to
her.  I've gotten a couple of good "bumps", as she has jumped, when I've
surprised her.  Never her fault, always mine.  Are you willing to admit
to total responsibility for this dog?  Barb has a point when she talks
about body posturing.  In some breeds it may mean less.  In a Pyr. it
could mean a lot.  I'm not telling you not to, I just want you to be
aware of what you will have to think about in dealing with this dog, and
your responsibility to protect this dog child even from your kids.
They are young, they will not always think!  Good luck, let us know how
it goes.  Oh, it can be a wonderful close relationship if you have the
time and energy to invest!
Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com