[pyrnet] Re: Skunked and Gully

Hello,

I have to second the recipe for de-skunker that uses
peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish soap!  The one I
read, though, said to cut the resulting combination with
water, and saturate the dog, leave it on at least 5
minutes, then rinse.  I've recommended it to many
clients at the vet hospital where I work, and have had
quite a few call back and tell me how well it worked.
Be aware, though, that when your dog is wet, he'll
likely still smell a little skunky for a few months.

As for my Gulliver, he is settling in so well, and we're
totally enjoying getting to know him.  Compared to even
my lightest golden, he appears a pale buff.  He's lost
two pounds so far (he's about 25 pounds overweight).  He
is so much more subtle than a golden.  He considers
everything very carefully.  When I call him, I can
almost read the thought bubbles.  "Hmmm, she wants me to
come.  Should I?  What will happen.  Most of the time
she pets me and stuff, or takes me outside, which I
like.  But sometimes she puts stuff in my ears, too.  I
do NOT like that.  However, she does usually sneak up on
me to do the ear thing, so it is more likely she just
wants to snuggle, which is a Very Good Thing.  I guess
I'll go."  And then he gets up and lumbers over for
petting!  If you give him his food or treats, he usually
sits by them and looks at them for a few minutes, takes
an experimental taste, considers, then goes ahead and
eats it.  Treats for the goldens never last a
millisecond!

We took him for a stroll through the shopping area of
hour "historic downtown" area yesterday, and he walked
up to people randomly and demanded attention, in his
understated way.  A man was sitting on a bench outside
the antique store, and he walked up, sat down and put
his head in the fellow's lap.  Of course I had him on
leash and was watching carefully, and if the man hadn't
looked welcoming I would have steered him away, but
everyone is so intrigued by this giant, fluffy, pale
gold baby!  (though two people asked me if he was a
newfie...)  We visited an outdoor sports store owned by
some folks who adopted one of my group's rescued
goldens, who hangs out at the shop with them, and Gully
was instantly playing with Gus!  From there, we went to
my humane society's adoption day, and he was initiating
play with all three dogs there!  He is very, very
friendly with other dogs, which I have to say surprised
me somewhat, but was a pleasant surprise!

So, that's the news from Minnesota!

Lori
WOOF1@att.net

--