Re: [pyrnet] Dwarfism

<<I am curious if the dwarf genes that have been mentioned create a
deformity or only a smaller version of our fabulous pyr friends?>> Sandy

My understading of the issue is the type most often seen in Pyrs is
Chondrodystrophy (or Chondrodysplasia) which is abnormal growth of the leg
bones and vertebrae caused by a simple recessive gene.  By simple recessive
it is meant that both the bitch and the sire must be carriers in order for
dwarfs to be produced.  However, any dog with a carrier in its pedigree has
a 50% chance of being a carrier.

I don't know much about the overall health of dwarfs.  I think some do
suffer ill effects and die early.  I think many dwarfs also have
deafness/hearing problems.  The GPCA Health Committee has a number of
projects
concerning dwarfs.  I understand there is a database, an ongoing health
survey, a genetic marker project and a test breeding protocol working group.
I have contact details for people wishing more info.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm