Re: [pyrnet] teaching stay

I've found it much easier to teach down/stay than sit/stay, probably
because of Paddington's knee--it's easier for him to lie down than to sit,
and he gradually slides down if I'm not watching very closely. But
down/stay has not been a problem. Our trainer had us start it very early
with him, because he was a very dominant puppy. We started by sitting with
him, putting him into a down if he wouldn't do it himself, and keeping a
hand lightly on his back. Just have him stay a minute or less the first
time or two, then gradually lengthen the time. The important thing is that
if he breaks it, you put him down again for a minute or two before you
release him--the release always comes on your command, not his! Release
him with lots of praise, and a treat, if you use them for training. When
he can stay for 5 minutes or so, gradually remove your hand, then begin to
move farther away. Continue moving farther away and increasing the time
until he will stay for 30 minutes.  We haven't been as consistent with Ivy
Rose, whom we got as an adult, but it's really stuck with Paddy and there
are so many occasions when we're pleased we persevered.
Good luck!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose