Re: [pyrnet] Consider breeding carriers (a proposal)

In a message dated 9/23/00 10:45:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmweisser@olywa.net writes:

<< Well, let's not make a federal case out of this. >>

I do believe it is a federal case and I am not alone by any stretch of the
imagination.  Do not mistake my passion for anything other than real concern
for the breed.

<<Yes, deafness or hearing
impairment is important.  it does require some adjustments on the part of
the owner.  But, within reason, this does not shorten the dogs normal,
healthy life, nor does it cripple them.>>

Do we know the Dwarfs live as long?  I suspect we do not and there are those
dogs with related deformities that are not functional and not pain free in
all likely hood.  That's not something we what to see in later generations is
it?  To believe that the deaf dog will make a good pet Pyr if the owner makes
adjustments, just seems to miss the point.

<<Would you care to clarify that?>>

Certainly.  If the day ever arrives that we dumb down to the point that these
cute little dogs are not so bad, then there needs to be an assessment of what
we as breeders are doing to the breed.  As far as smoke screen, the idea that
we should not develop a marker because we will make it easier for the Dwarf
breeders to do what they want to do is so illogical to my mind it has not
answer.  Whenever there is not visible answer to something like this, there
is generally some unknown agenda.  I have no idea what this might be, but I
have learned over my many years that if we look and listen very carefully
over a period of time we will see that the agenda was all along.  That is one
I would really like see why someone would oppose the development of the
marker stating that they fear the potential dwarf breeders will use it.

I believe there are those who have already embarked on a separate course out
of fear and need for the breeds future.  There are those who are so
disappointed by the process that they are ready to leave the group.  I do not
think this is healthy at all for the breed.

<>

Thanks, I did that already two years ago.

<< If you are concerned about the direction
of the marker project or the work of the health committee in terms of the
dwarf issue>>

This is not about me.  I have tremendous respect and am very grateful for
those working in a positive way.  I am trying to do my bit to aid them and
raise the awareness so they can get their jobs done.  So lets not even try to
go there.  Communications and information should not be feared by anyone.
Done properly it can only help.

How many dogs have been collected and submitted for study?  Is it true we
need 15?  How many dogs are in the process of being collected at present?
What is the ETA for completion of the collection and submission so the study
can have a representative sample?

Joe