Re: [pyrnet] Gulliver

On 25 Sep 00, at 6:42, clhenke@juno.com wrote:

> We always watch the others
> when they are out, but he really looks for a way to wander.

Unfortunately some of the rescues that have wandered for the majority
of their life never give up finding a way out.  I always find they
are extremely sweet dogs, but it's like something is short circuited
in their brains, they just cannot stand being contained.  I feel this
is different than a working dog expanding their territory to include
neighboring property and livestock.  That type of dog is guarding
what it perceives to be their territory.  The true shape shifters
could never make it as guardians.  Lucky for me my rescue checked out
all the fencing and corners and decided to stay, but give her an
opening and she's gone like a flash.  I have placed two escape
artists with the same family, they are willing to work with the
situation and have become quite creative at keeping both dogs
contained.   The male who is their latest rescue still gets out,
makes a foray around their fields and then comes right back and
stands outside the fence.  So there is hope for him.  I hope Gulliver
will realize that it's okay to be contained and once those hormones
are gone he just might.  It takes several months for the hormones to
leave after s/n.  The more Gulliver realizes only good things happen,
the more he is likely to stick around.  His companion dogs will
certainly help.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico